Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I Love Dave Thompson, or: My New Ipod


On October 22nd, my ipod kinda screwed up. A little piece of plastic by the docking plug broke, and it wouldn't dock right most of the time. Best Buy has that sweet service plan, so I took it in. I'd be omitting information if I didn't mention that once the Ipod goes in for service four times it's considered a lemon and is replaced with a new one. This was my third time, and I had about seven months left on the plan. So my fingers were crossed...

It came back 11/7, but it wasn't fixed. They replaced the battery, which is nice, but didn't fix the docking issue. I was peeved, because in the notes, the guy hadn't really described the issue, just wrote "docking problems." So, I'm not happy, but he recommends that they send it back in to get done. I play ball, and ask that he be more specific about what's wrong, so that it gets done. He sorta says "yeah, sure," and I'm on my way.

Today I went back to get it (again). And it wasn't fixed I did a Feldman gasket-blow. This was a different guy, and of course he was very sorry, and all he could do was send it back in and get it done. I refused, told him that this is exactly the conversation I had with the guy two weeks ago, and so forth. He wasn't helpful beyond that point.

I was ready to leave with the Ipod and deal with it elsewhere. He said sure, just sign here. I look at the paper, and he wants me to sign under a thing that says "The repairs were done in a satisfactory manner." I refuse. He's indicating that I can't take the damn thing unless I do. I tell him he can send for his manager, because there's no way I'm signing anything that says I'm satisfied.

Key moment in the story: He leaves, and I'm ready to just walk out. I don't want to argue with a manager, and what's he gonna do anyhow?

So the manager, Dave Thompson, shows up. The Geek Squad dude, explains quickly. Dave asks how long I've been without the Ipod. Geek Squad says a month. Dave immediately asks if I'd be satisfied with a replacement from in-store.

Duh!

He tells me to go ahead and grab something. Geek Squad pulls up my reciept for the broken one. I run over and pick up a 80G Ipod (the other one was a 40g, and cost MORE in the summer of '04). After tax and the service plan it cost me $10. Again, I love you, Dave Thompson.

Lesson for the day: talk to the manager...he can actually do something.

No comments: